[thelist] SSI for navigation

Palyne Gaenir palyne at sciencehorizon.com
Thu Jul 13 00:51:52 CDT 2000

Hi Martha,

See one of my older sites,
http://www.lfr.org/csl/media/ciaairreport.shtml
is one page of example -- each 'section' of the site uses SSI to
'include' navigation for the left column of a table, so no frames. I
can send you more refs if you want them.  Greatest thing since sliced
bread.  Well, till I found ColdFusion anyway.  (I'm not a CF
evangelist.  Just a run of the mill worshipper. :-))

<tip type="SSI" nature="warning">
I was using SSI links on just the internal pages of a number of my
sites.  Most used root-based relative links, e.g.,
/includesdirectory/includefile.html
Moved my domains to a new server, checked to make sure all the sites
showed up before moving... but didn't look inside them all.
CRASH! THIS server will NOT accept that kind of link in an SSI, nor
will it accept a hard link; all the links have to be very relative...
entire sites went down overnight, and so I fixed them eventually (in
my sleep) but my personal hobby site still has about 20 megs of
archives offline for it, probably almost forever.
It could happen to you. ;-)  Be aware.
</tip>

Palyne