[thelist] Seeing IP addresses: Used to be: CoffeeCup Free HTML

Erik Sabowski Erik.Sabowski at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 13 13:27:06 CDT 2000

if you have access to the access log for whatever server your site is
being served with, it'll tell you what pages are being accessed. it'll
show their IP, time of request, and the file that was requested. so you
could write a script that tells you how many times each page was
accessed very easily, and even break it down by day, hour, etc., like
Webstats, if you wanted to put that much work into it.

to tell you the truth, i only have experience with apache, but i imagine
any server would log this info (as long as you tell it to. apache
doesn't log access unless you specify a file to write the access log
too)

#airyk
:wq

Janet wrote:

> That's true about everyone getting that info., but to have a message spring
> on you is strange, isn't it?  I get that information when anyone pings me
> through Zone Alarm, and also on my site through HumanClick.  I found out
> that in order to see what pages people are going to on my site, I'd have to
> put the HC script on each page.  I'm reluctant to do that, since it'll make
> my pages slow loading, but it would be nice to see if some of my pages are
> NEVER viewed, and so on.
>
> Janet

| Erik M. Sabowski          Computer Assistant       |
| erik.sabowski at noaa.gov    National Geodetic Survey |
|    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association    |