[thelist] Seeing IP addresses: Used to be: CoffeeCup Free HTML

Alessandro Alessandro at bodytrends.com
Thu Jul 13 14:12:39 CDT 2000

> Say you see a purchase on your credit card statement for Coffee Cup - and
> you know you didn't buy it. The website can now lookup what the IP address
> was when the order was placed, and hopefully link it to an ISP, who will
> then let you know whose was using the ip address ...

I have seen the message on several small-time sites. Not only can you
configure your server to record it, but many hosting services will provide
reports like Webtrends (which give you all kinds of info about who, when,
where looked at your page)free.
But here's my question... so you have some guy's IP address who tried to
commit credit card fraud. Unless he has his own server, all you recorded was
his ISP's IP address. Is there a way for that ISP to subtrace the actual
account number or user, especially if he was using some large ISP? Wouldn't
most ISPs only be able too generate a list of users logged in at that
particular time?

Alessandro