[thelist] content management systems

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Sun Jul 16 08:06:43 CDT 2000

here's some interesting articles and ideas on content management systems:
(content management systems are things like vignette storyserver, alaire
spectra, zope, midgard, Frontier/Manila, Bealers' back-end, the slash
engine ... that let you manage content)

a recent article called The Ugly Secret Behind Top Media Sites
said most content management systems suck and news sites were better off
writing their own:
http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,6358,00.html

That sparked a bit of discussion here and there where the main question
seemed to be: for a small/medium website, is it better to find a ready to
go solution and then customise that last 15 % into it, or write one from
scratch. The answer seems obvious to me: get a pre-written and customise. I
wonder though what the requirements for a good content management system
are?? And which ones are the best ones out there??? How can you customise
and then upgrade? Guys and girls??

Finally, our hero captain cursor also had some interesting thoughts:
http://www.captaincursor.com/archive/2000_07_09_index.html#462212

Peter