[thelist] Tremendously simple use of flash to make a point.

Catherine Giayvia giayvia at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:39:49 CDT 2000

Morning, evolters,

The site seems fairly silly to me. It's lovely in it's flash presentation,
but it strikes me as counterintuitive to choose a medium that is completely
inaccessible to the blind in which to present an organization whose goals
are to make the blind independent. What if a blind person wanted to make a
donation for the betterment of his South American fellows? Where is the
text-only version of this site?

I worked with blind people for two years, and I learned a lot from them
about accessibility issues. Number one being that given the proper tools and
the opportunity to learn, blind people can be as computer savvy as anyone
with sight. Speech/braille access technology and keyboard commands, combined
with good alt-text descriptions on graphics and (if a site is
animation-based) a good text-only site, are the basics of what is needed for
a blind person to surf the web with equal success and independence. It's
still a challenge for many, and blindness technology sometimes has trouble
keeping up with the emerging technologies for the web, but I guess the
problem I have with this site is that it implies that blind people can't
surf at all without sighted assistance. This just ain't the case, but you
wouldn't know it from this site.

The credit card thing at the end seems kind of questionable to me, too.

--Catherine