[thelist] Another question

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 18 13:01:40 CDT 2000

> From: Daniel McMurray <mcmurd at ccaa.edu>
>
> I'm referring to things like statistics (I'm not sure if it was this
> list, but someone recently stated that 66% of people have the Flash
> plugin....where does that info come from?) Also, to whom do the gurus

the Macromedia site (biased), different stat sites, my logs, other
people's logs...

> turn to for advice and help with Web design? It's obvious that nearly

the list, other folks locally who do good work, some web zines and
sites (but they are generally a little less than ideal)...

> all frequent posters to this list are rather opinionated (I'm not

me?  nah...

> saying it's a bad thing by any measure) about such things, so what
> sort of sources do you turn to?  Along with this, given the rate that

first-generation sources (whatever that means)... if someone gives
stats, i wanna see where they got 'em... if i can't see the hard data
from which it came, i'm not interested (see my screen res article
on the evolt.org front page)... for non-stats stuff, i like to see
someone's 'portfolio' before i qualify them... if you remember my
rants about web classes from different online schools, you'll note
that i felt none of the teachers' resumes stood up to my own
standards...

> things change on the Web, (ahh...that wonderful <font> tag...it seems
> like only yesterday I was using it for everything....wait a minute, it
> _was_ only yesterday....) books seem to be out of their element - by
> the time the book is written, published, and shipped to stores,
> everything in it is obsolete.  What sites are available for up-to-date
> info regarding stats, design advice/info, and all things Web?

look to evolt.org for all your answers...

seriously, there are lots of great sites... but i can't think of any...
culling through list archives and evolt.org articles has generally
been all i've ever needed to do to find a link...