[thelist] re:site price help

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Tue Jul 18 16:02:35 CDT 2000

Greg:

>  >> not the ravings of an admitted radical on the Internet.

I thought we were all radicals on the Internet.

>  Again, the petrol companies can agree to hold prices high, but you
>are saying it would be ok as long as they tell everyone?

That seems to be exactly what happens here in Humboldt County, CA.
We have the highest gas prices in the US & practically no public
transportation to boot.  Every station charges within a few pennies
of the next.  Co-incidence?

>the question is whether we should avoid discussing our rates on thelist

it was (probably still is) forbidden on Monkeyjunkies.  Wired was no
doubt worried that if they allowed it, they could be sued as well.
No I'm not a lawyer.

I do think someone recommended the Aquent pricing guide to Lisa when
she first posted her question. But I just have to question HOW Aquent
can publish such a guide without worry about being accused of "price
fixing."  I'm glad they did publish it, though.  I've never found
that HWG link to be of much help.

There are similar resources... I remember something published on
ZDNet at one time.  A 'net search might turn something up.

Another issue may be to what extent a person in Bangkok can or should
be competitive with a person in the US.  The cost of living is
sky-high in New York City.  So is it right that someone in Bangkok
should be charging the same rate as someone living in NYC?  On the
other hand, should American web designers lose their business because
someone in Thailand might work so much cheaper?

These are hairy questions, but worth a thought.  Even if we can't discuss them.

Erika

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com