[thelist] IE 5.5 & CSS

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Jul 19 18:01:09 CDT 2000

Kev,

> *embarassed*
> Erm, that was my style sheet & since it doesn't take up much bandwidth
here
> it is again

	No need to be embarrassed. :) I see nothing technically wrong with
your style sheet. I  assume, though, that it is either embedded in the head
of your document within a style element, e.g.:

or is an external style sheet linked to your document by a link tag, e.g.:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="MyStyle.css">

	Also, are you commenting out any portions of your style sheet? If
so, be sure you use the multiple-line JavaScript comment delimiters (/* ...
*/), and not html comment delimiters (although you can block off your style
declaration in between html comment delimiters just as you would with a
JavaScript block to prevent older browsers from rendering its content in
plain text, e.g.:

  <!--
  // -->

; however, you should never use html delimiters to "disable" or comment
portions of your style sheet).
	Short of seeing a URL, that's about the best feedback I can give. If
you can find another box with IE 5.5 installed, see if your page displays as
expected on it.

> > upgrade didn't go quite right (especially if you upgraded
> from one of the
> > 5.5 betas).
>
> Hmm, does this happen? I downloaded it the other day when
> someone posted
> that it was out. Should I download it again?

	Anything's possible -- especially if you are installing IE over an
earlier, beta version (it sounds as though you're not, though), or over an
earlier installation that was already broken. If nothing else gets your page
to display correctly, you might try uninstalling IE altogether, and then
installing IE 5.5. Keep in mind, though, that depending on your initial
installation, your browser can get rolled back to IE 2 (it happened to me
just the other day on an NT4 box), so keep your IE 5.5 install files handy.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com