[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at mari.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 04:42:19 CDT 2000

	don't know how intentionally provocative this was intended to be but
i hope that it was merely an attempt to promote "healthy discussion" :)

	Who do you think createded the templates in the first place? A
goldfish?

	"My take is: DESIGN IS DEAD!"

	think we'll have to disagree on this one! one of the fundamental
reasons i was attracted to the realm of internet and multimedia 5 years ago
was precisely the marrying of the visual and technology within a new
delivery medium. It was obviously dominated by techies in the early years,
or at least people/designers with a knowledge of HTML until the early
editors came along (esp early WYSIWIG editors PageMill etc.) then designers
really got a foot hold! The relationship since then has been fairly
tumultuous (i would say).

	I originally studied graphic design and video production and later
took a post grad in computing and computer systems, this new emerging area
of cyberspace seemed perfect for my skills from both areas. I must have been
very lucky in the companies I have worked in not to come up against such
fatuous opinionated nonsense as "design is dead". Strong teams thrive on
mutual respect (talent obviously paying an important part too) not factional
infighting, which is destructive and self defeating. This is still a new
medium that is exciting, continually changing (daunting at times) but always
evolving with space for us all. Hey i thought the whole evolt ethos was one
of a supportive community not a forum for put downs :(.

	There got that off my chest now!!

	Roger