[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 20 10:46:29 CDT 2000

> On 7/20/00,  regarding " RE: [thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?
> ",
> martin burns offered the following:

> >If it's not your core competence, then for goodness' sake outsource it
> >someone who can do it really well.
> >
> So... if I follow this correctly, the general concensus is that the day
> of
> the 'general practitioner' is waning?

Absolutely. You can't be good enough at everything in a fast paced global market (which it is).

If I were putting together a site as an project manager (which is a niche btw), I might build a team containing (amongst others), Isaac (for the look), Adrian (for the HTML/usability), Rudy (for the db), Jeff & Bob(for getting the data out of the db and into the HTML), Dan (for running the server) and Wolf (for getting it all on Search Engines). I'd do the content & link to the marketing/CRM, and Marlene would get everything organised.

Some of these skills I *can* do myself, but nowhere near enough.

>In other words... I am in the
> middle
> of learning how to integrate a Filemaker/ Lasso solution.
>However, my 'core competence' (such as it is) would have to be more along the >lines of design/ GUI
>I have a steady stream of clients... and they seem to be reasonably pleased
>(the cheques always clear!).  Is my particular form of enterprise doomed?

Yes, but there may be money to be made in the short term. And in the long term, being the person whose core competence is GUI, but who really groks how that is impacted by being database backed might be a killer niche.

Cheers
Martin