[thelist] Copying HTML from PC to Mac

Liz Lawson lizlawson at charitycards.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 11:48:12 CDT 2000

>>I've just finished a CD for a High School Reunion (first and last time,
>>thank you very much!) and of course, the .html files were altered during
>>the copying process (uppercase ie. MYFILE~1.HTM) - rendering it virtually
>>useless for Mac users. Is there any way that I can make sure that the
files
>>don't get trashed when burning the CDs? or is my only solution to fix them
>>via Mac and burn via Mac?
>
>Why do you think that having uppercase and a ~ in the file makes it
>virtually useless? Macs aren't case sensitive on their HTML file
>names.
>
>HTML is cross-platform compatible. The person just needs to launch
>their browser (since double-clicking on the htm(l) file will likely
>not work), and then Open the file from within the browser.
>
>The only way to be sure it will it will work on Macs would be to burn
>a Mac CD, so that the file names/associations stay the same. But as
>Macs can read PC disks, and that includes CDs, it should work fine.

Hang on, I'm confused now!

I thought the problem was that the Mac READ the filenames as MYFILE~1.HTM,
not that that was how
they'd actually been burned? If the filenames started out long, but got
changed when they were burnt to
the disc, surely no platform would be able to make sense of the HTML stuff
because all the links ( <a href> and image )
would be to the original filenames?

If the names were corrupted when the disc was burned, my original reply is
wrong: you did burn at ISO9660,
which is why the filenames got cropped!

<tip type burning CDs>

If you burn archive discs, it's worth zipping everything up not just for the
reduced filesize, but because the zip
will preserve the filenames, directory structure and so on when the cd might
baulk at it. Some autogenerated pages
in a project I had even exceeded the joilet extensions...
</tip>