[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 11:48:28 CDT 2000

Palyne Gaenir wrote:

>I have to say that apart from a lot of answers I never would have
>gotten otherwise -- many given to others -- the coolest part about
>lists like Evolt is the inspiration.  To realize, you know, that
>these people who can just breathe out something complex and cool,
>they taught themselves just like anybody else for the most part; and
>if I pay attention and work on doing things well, eventually, I can
>do it too.
>
>I feel an interesting sense of 'community', knowing that many other
>independent web developers (and a few who aren't independent) are
>also familiar with the working 24/7 live on a string overworked
>overcoded chronic deadline kind of life

There is a downside to belonging to these e-mail communities though. They
are *too* interesting and it handicaps your ability to mix in the real
world.

Every now and again I think to myself that I'm getting too nerdy and decide
to go down to the local pub to meet real people. I am always aghast at the
low content value of the conversations. They are probably normal
conversations but I have this distorted view of them.

The only encouragement that I haven't gone completely over the top is when
I go to the occasional real life pub meets of user groups. Everyone then
seems really interesting and normal. But, I still have a sneaky suspicion
that perhaps we are all weird.

We have a real life meeting of the freelancers e-mail discussion group next
week in London. I wish I could get a normal person to give their view on
what we sound like.

peter
http://www.avatarnets.com