[thelist] CSS, Netscape, .class oddity?

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sat Jul 22 10:43:17 CDT 2000

Tony K Bounds wrote:

>You were right Erika.

Can I frame this?

____________________________

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

>In my experience border declarations are dangerous, closely followed by
>having a lot of styles on the page (doesn't matter what and where).

borders maybe... on images.  I don't know where else it is dangerous.
"Having a lot of styles..."  What is that supposed to mean?

I am building my pages with XHTML transitional now and do as much
formatting as possible with CSS+tables-for-layout.  It feels great.

Some things conflict, some don't.  You are generally okay with CSS1.
The only time I ever heard about CSS1 crashing Netscape was that
thing with Zeldman's pages... and I don't recall what the end
diagnosis of that was.

What is dangerous with Netscape is not having well-formed HTML.

>Turned out that the HTML'er that had updated it had forgotten one </P>, which
>strictly isn't even required. Nonetheless the page crashed on it.

It is never a good idea not to close tags when you're using CSS.

>  >My recommendation is to remove all of your CSS properties for your table
>  >except one, and try viewing the page in Netscape. If that proves successful,
>  >add back in another property, view it again, and so on, to see which
>  >property or properties might be offending.
>
>Good idea. Unfortunately Netscape does nothing with margins and paddings
>applied to a table or TD anyway, so why not remove them altogether?

My recommendation is always run it thru the W3C validator.  The
validator showed that his CSS was fine.  His HTML had problems.  CSS1
doesn't usually crash browsers.  Unclosed tags (forgetting to close a
places WILL crash Netscape.

Erika

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com