[thelist] SSH/Telnet/SecureCRT

Gina K. Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Sun Jul 23 13:53:25 CDT 2000

Hi all,

My hosting provider doesn't allow Telnet, they say to
telnet, I must use an SSH program. In their help files, they
provide this info:

<---XXXXX Hosting does not allow clients to just Telnet to
their site. We use SSH which is encrypted telnet.  The
reason being is because for security measures SSH is
recommended over standard Telnet which will disable hackers
from reviewing your information that is being sent to SSH.
This is a one time cost of $25 which we will install your
private RSA key. After submitting this form, you will be
given directions on how to obtain access for SSH. To upload
your own key, we suggest using SecureCRT. Please go to
www.securecrt.com.-->

Now, I have done a bit of searching around on the net,
because I had *no idea* what this was. The link they provide
above goes to a site that looks like another hosting co., so
I think they mean VanDyke's SecureCRT program. I found that
SSH capable telnet programs (even the shareware) costs
around 60-100 bucks..eesh. Two I looked at:

SecureCRT:
http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html
ZOC: http://www.emtec.com/zoc/index.html

Is there a cheaper way to do this? :P I really don't use
Telnet *that* often, but I find I occasionally need it to
debug a Perl script or to set up a cron or something.
Anyone throw me a bone?

Thanks,
Gina