[thelist] XHTML overrated (was: CSS, Netscape, .class oddity?)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 23 22:10:07 CDT 2000

http://lists.projectcool.com/public/standards/2000-July/0000
51.html

his arguments aren't good enough for me...

a lot of it boils down to 'code to XHTML because it will
promote good code'...

well, those of us who *do* use good code can move over
easily...

those who code very poorly (or not at all thanks to
WYSIWYGs) won't be motivated to move a less-forgiving markup
language...   they'll continue to code to some version of
HTML (not like they use DTDs now anyway), and since the
newer browsers may not drop HTML support, why would the
developers care?

XHTML doesn't automatically *stop* support for HTML, nobody
can do that...  moving to XHTML is noble, but i don't see
much beyond that right now...

and like steve, lest i also be accused of hypocrisy, i
*haven't* converted my personal site (at roselli.org) to
XHTML because it already validates as HTML4 transitional...
why re-code it?  it works, and it will continue to work in
browsers for years to come...  i *could* recode it in all of
20 minutes with some simple search-n-replace calls, but why?
what does it get me or the user?  by the time it matters, it
will probably move straight to a later version of XHTML or
XML...