[thelist] Hosting a site

Hoenig, Robert RHoenig at giddings.com
Mon Jul 24 13:35:55 CDT 2000

Hey all

I'm just starting to work on a site for a person and they want me to find a
host for them.  I'm new to this area of Web Design.  I have a couple
questions about what to look for in a hosting company.  They are:

1.) What does transfer rate mean?  I've seen anywhere from 500 meg to 5 gig
per month.  I'm assuming the higher the better, but I would like to know
what it actually means.

2.) What is the difference between E-mail Pop accounts and E-mail aliases?
I found companies that would give you 5 pop accounts and you could have
unlimited aliases.

3.) Finally has anyone tried out some of the free hosting companies.  I
found a couple out there.  I'm just wondering if your getting what you pay
for in that case.

Thanks in advance.
Robert