[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

elkay lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 19:38:27 CDT 2000

Thanks Javier

Since I'm the one who started this thread, I'll tip my hat to Jacob who has
made my point much better than I did. I think useit.com should be required
reading for anyone involved in this business.

This thread has been skewed more than any other I've seen. Responses have
ranged from defensive to alternative with a smattering of patronization.

When I exclaimed a take that 'design is dead', I was referring to 'out of
the gate' clients who are just getting their feet wet. Emphasizing design at
the expense of valuable content will certainly become a 'plan to fail'.
Perhaps I should have said 'design should be considered only AFTER purpose,
target audience and content have been established'. IOW, priorities MUST be
established.

How often is the first question you're asked 'How much will it cost?' or
'What will it look like?', when all you know is the 'virtual' name of the
person asking the question.

In the long run, I think that these sites that offer dirt cheap template
'design' and 'hosting' are helping serious design and development
practitioners. These newbie users get instant gratification by choosing an
'awesome(?)' site design and a host right out of the gate. Next, they're
asked to map their pages and select graphics from a huge library of generic
images. Finally [once they're bored to tears?] they have to pass on the
specific content they'd like to present for each of the pages they mapped
according to the template they selected.

If, somehow, they do get through this process, they end up with an
inexpensive cookie-cutter site that they think they can forget about (sans
the $9.95 per month) and expect their business will realize a whopping
increase in profits because they 'now' have a web site. Inevitably, that
smile will turn over and become a frown.

Now, DESIGN IS DEAD! 'My site looks great!' It's easy and appropriate to
blame the design.'I chose a fantastic design!' 'I mentioned some stuff,
offered a map, gave an email address to respond, but apparently I get no
action because noone likes the design.' 'I'm glad I didn't spend several
thousand dollars on this effort!"

I'll reiterate that I think that content rules over design.

More?