[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Palyne Gaenir palyne at sciencehorizon.com
Tue Jul 25 01:46:00 CDT 2000

Maybe working darn near 24/7 for about 15 years now is making me
burned out? This topic (and article ref'd below) is part of why I am
really starting to lose interest in the very thing (web devel) that
has driven my interest and career for the last five years now.  (Not
counting that I still hate javascript. ;-))

I mean DAMN it all, I confess!  I'm guilty!  I don't WANT my web
sites to look like Amazon or Yahoo, so there! I don't WANT links on a
nice teal-green site to be blue and purple and red!  I don't WANT my
text to sprawl out all over the page because 'readers' don't like
tables (so why the bleep can't they just make a NEW code that is NOT
a 'table' but works exactly like one for this purpose??).

And I don't want to hear another webpatriot explaining why, if only
everything looks the same and works the same and IS the same, this
should not be depressing for developers who actually joined the field
to be just a little bit (gasp) creative now and then.  The simple
list of what is truly left to decide/design once all the suggestions
about dismissing most unique design, making sites fully accessible,
etc. is incorporated amounts to little more than "provide interesting
content" -- which is NOT a developer's job.  So if that's the only
area left for creativity on the web, then maybe it's time to get
another job.  (I probably just need more sleep....)

I'm a closet optimist.  I think as long as humans are involved there
is always going to be some unexpected doorway for creativity to spark
through.  Just when all the control freaks get the chaos together,
some new chaos will break out around us.  Hopefully, I'll be in the
right place to find it, and it won't require complex javascript. ;-)

Palyne