[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at mari.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 04:08:25 CDT 2000

> This thread has been skewed more than any other I've seen. Responses have
> ranged from defensive to alternative with a smattering of patronization.
>
> Perhaps I should have said 'design should be considered only AFTER
> purpose,
> target audience and content have been established'. IOW, priorities MUST
> be
> established.

Think i may have been one of the defensive, patronising gits referred to
here (sorry)!! but hey, now i am in full agreement with all you said!!! that
old design edict "form follows function" (can't remember who said it though,
Adolf Loos?) is of primary importance and is very often ignored, not only by
web designers either. There's a hell of a lot of "fur coat and no knickers"
sites out there, which may have a lot of wow factor but absolutely no
stickiness. It is easy for people (punters, users and designers) to be
seduced by all the "whistles and bells" the web allows and lose sight of the
fundamental reason for having the site in the first place.

Hope no offense was caused, had had a bad morning :(

roger