[thelist] Sessions in PHP4

Liz Lawson lizlawson at charitycards.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 10:38:46 CDT 2000

Hi out there

Does anyone know whether in PHP4's session management, the session ids are
unique forever (maybe part of the string is generated from the date and
time), or just unique in the sense that at any one time, all active sessions
have a unique Id?

Ideally I want to use the session id as a primary key in a table, but if it
may be used again someday, I'll have to create a session variable combining
the id with a date-related code and use that, which seems a bit around the
houses!

(I don't want to use an autonumber column because I need to do inserts over
a few tables, so I want to know the PK before I insert any data to get
around mysql's lack of transactions...)

Thanks for any help,

Liz