[thelist] [ot] monitor help: which 17" or 19" and from who?

Christopher Orth - HQ corth at casey.org
Tue Jul 25 11:21:20 CDT 2000

Get at least a 19 if you can.  The prices are not that much more now between
a 17 and a 19, and you sure will miss the extra screen space if you don't
get at least a 19.

I think your monitor is the single most important investment you can make in
your computer.  You can move one good monitor from computer to computer over
several years, but the CPU and peripherals will most likely become obsolete.
And you cant upgrade a monitor, you have to get a whole new one, so a couple
hundred extra dollars really is an investment in your future.

That being said... look for a used or sale item 21 inch monitor.  I picked
up a 21 inch Hitachi SuperScan about a year ago for only $600 as a show room
model.  It has been perfect since, no problems attached to a G3.  I bought
Dell 24 inch monitors for my web team, and they are much more productive
with the extra space.  Really, its measurable.

Anyhow, if budget is an issue, I would still recommended looking for at
least a 19 inch screen.  You will be much happier, even if you have to wait
a few weeks to find a deal.