[thelist] Sessions in PHP4

Katherine Spice k.spice at acu.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:26:17 CDT 2000

Liz Lawson wrote:

> (I don't want to use an autonumber column because I need to do inserts over
> a few tables, so I want to know the PK before I insert any data to get
> around mysql's lack of transactions...)

if it's just you doing the inserts, and you don't intend to scale this
up, mysql offers a LAST_INSERT_ID function (as in SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID
FROM table_whatever), which returns the last value automatically
generated for an AUTO_INCREMENT field, so you could retrieve the primary
key for the first insert that way.

maybe as a last resort.

Katherine