<ACRONYM> and the VI (was Re: [thelist] Two Questions)

Zachary Mutrux zacm at etr.org
Tue Jul 25 13:40:26 CDT 2000

Hi:

The Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI; previously cited) is a good resource,
but note that not all their recommendations have not been implemented by the
browser vendors. Because of this and other reasons, the only way to ensure
that your pages are accessible is to test them yourself using the tools your
audience is using (or have someone else test them for you).

I use a Mac, and I love it, but there is NO good screen reader software for
the Mac. Further, the experience you have using Mac-based screen-reader
software will not emulate the experience of the vast majority of users with
impaired vision. If you want to test your site using screen-reader software,
you'll have to use Windows. Jaws is reportedly the most popular
screen-reader for Windows, but there are several different programs out
there.

Because screen-readers don't necessarily interpret HTML directly, the use of
the <ACRONYM> tag may be moot. The screen reader may merely be reading what
is displayed by Lynx, for example. This makes the other suggestions more
worthwhile; using periods or spaces. I prefer periods, as it is a more
common convention for users with unimpaired vision.

You might try <news://alt.comp.blind-users> for software recommendations or
site testing.

zm

--
Zachary Mutrux, Information Technology Generalist
National Service Resource Center; ETR Associates