[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

elkay lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 25 17:49:03 CDT 2000

> etc. is incorporated amounts to little more than "provide interesting
> content" -- which is NOT a developer's job.  So if that's the only
> Palyne

...reminds me of a response I offered some time ago to:

"...points to the failure of site designers to provide compelling content."

You've hit the nail on the head!

Designers are facilitators. When a client moves reliance to the designer to
"provide compelling content", the impetus falls upon an unreliable source.
"Hungry" designers will seccumb to this pressure and "compose" content based
on a "perceived" knowledge that appeals to the client, whether or not it
actually represents the goal of the client. Inevitably, the client fails in
his goal and the designer wins by demonstrating an ability to "spin" and
collect compensation for the effort.

Certainly, ONLY design falls within the realm of a designer. Content will
forever be the responsibility of the client! A designer must only be
responsible for presenting the client's "content" in a fashion that will
enable the greatest number of viable users (considering 'his'
definition/need to use existing technologies, standards and accessibility).