[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at mari.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 03:57:54 CDT 2000

> You can't have the "form vs content" fine art discussion with design.
> Because design is method, it has no form, only practice.

I think you can. design may be a method, but the end result is a "thing",
and "things" have "form" (which in the dictionary is defined as "shape,
arrangement of parts, visible aspect, shape of body) which is applicable to
a chair as easily as it is to a garment (why did i mention bloody fur
coats?) as it is to a web-site

I also don't actually think it is a form "versus" content issue at all. my
point throughout has been the successful marrying of the two and the
problems this can raise for designers copywriter, content managers and
clients.

see www.designmuseum.org for a brilliant example of an elegant, engaging,
exciting and witty site (i think so anyway). both design and content are
blended here seamlessly, an excellent use of flash too, functional, and
intuitive.

roger