[thelist] The Mac Market

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Wed Jul 26 15:50:06 CDT 2000

on 7/26/00 2:54 PM, jeff at jeff at members.evolt.org wrote:

> greg,
>
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : From: "Greg Strange" <gstrange at e-tsi.com>
> :
> : Microsoft gave nearly $200 million dollars to schools
> : in 1998 and 1999 for the explicit purpose of buying
> : PCs only.
> :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> and that is $200 million those schools wouldn't have had if it hadn't been
> donated.  it would have also been $200 million worth of computers that
> wouldn't be available to the students of those schools to use and learn on,
> irrespective of the platform.

Okay.  I have to apologise here because I can't find the article I remember
and until then I should just retract my statement and offer some evidence of
what I was referring to.

I completely agree with you on this.  I am not knocking the fact that anyone
donates anything to schools.  In fact, I applaud it.  I was just trying to
say that it was a deciding cause in the downward trend in Mac purchases in
the education market.

> i also find it hard to believe that a charitable donation would carry the
> stipulation that a certain platform was purchased.  i know firsthand of a
> charitable donation to a non-profit where the money will be used to build
> something that uses technology that is a direct competitor to asp and yet
> there is no stipulation in this instance.

In searching M$ site for press releases, I found these matched (somewhat)
what I was looking for.

http://search.microsoft.com/us/corpinfo/press/Default.asp?so=RECCNT&qu=donat
ions+to+schools&boolean=ALL&intCat=0&intCat=1&p=1&nq=NEW

(mind the wraps)

In most of these articles it speaks of grants (which is what I meant) to
schools or educational entities (Indian Reservation educational facilities,
libraries and the like) in the form of software (not hardware as I
remembered it).  Also there is an article about rounding up any computer to
be traded up for a PC - not exactly what I was claiming.  Anyway, as close I
could find.

Greg
--
I made $500/week eating human flesh.  Ask me how!