[thelist] Search and Replace program

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 26 18:11:07 CDT 2000

on 07/26/2000 6:42 PM, Martin at martin at members.evolt.org wrote:

> Gordon Jessop wrote on 26/7/00 7:35 pm
>
>> If you are able to, use BBEdit from BareBones Software... a fantastic
>> product that I *highly* recommend.  It will make mince-meat out of
>> your search and replace tasks.
>
> Mac only, though.
>
> For the PC side of the fence, HomeSite does wildcards.

BBEdit does RegExp quite well (though it's greedy, so you have to be
careful).  ColdFusion studio *claims* to handle RegExp, but I've never
gotten it to work.  It just keeps crashing.

When the boss asks about the two machines I have, I cite the power of BBEdit
as my reason for the Mac (and that's where all of the graphics apps are
too).

> And if you've got Unix, well, a Perl RegExp isn't that hard.

Look into O'Reilly's "Mastering Regular Expressions".  It's (according to
general consensus) *the* book to have if you are going to be doing this
stuff.

--

bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org