[thelist] Specifying design contract conditions

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 26 18:40:54 CDT 2000

Steve Peters wrote on 27/7/00 12:30 am

>I am advising a large client on an expandable website.
>
>My approach is to try to embed some staff-turnover survivability for them.
>[linux/apache/php/mysql; everything as standard as possible. They have high
>staff turnover rates so everything should be commented, etc in preparation
>for the next designers].

I'd suggest looking at real Content Management Systems (Zope, Spectra,
Vignette, Bladerunner, in rough ascending order of price) - all of them
should separate content from design so you don't break one when different
people do the other.

>My question is this: I would like to point prospective design tenderers to
>some industry-standard document for this sort of thing, from a client's
>point of view. Does anybody use any reasonably concise document as a basis
>for contracts?

*sucking teeth* not really. But it's something that's part of the briefing
anyway (ie "We're using CMS 'x' - you will work with it")

Cheers
Martin