[thelist] Re. Search and Replace program

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 18:47:37 CDT 2000

> I am in urgent need of a search
> and replace utility that does wildcards
> free would be wonderful but not necessary.

Apart from the search & replace facilities of TextPad and Dreamweaver,
I occasionally resort to two FREEWARE apps:

Multi-replace
http://www.cict.co.uk/software/dev/mrep.htm
Searches for and replaces strings in text files. Its simple
drag'n'drop operation sometimes makes this preferable to BK Replacem
(see below), particularly for simple substitutions involving strings
which span a number of lines.

BK REplacem
http://www.orbit.org/replace/
Uses regular expressions to search and replace multiple strings in
text files. Highly configurable, with excellent log, backup and batch
controls. Doesn't redate your files (unless you want it to) so is very
useful for making changes in every page of a web site, without all the
pages ending up as modified on the same date.  Unfortunately strings
including line endings require the regular expression mode, so while
undeniably more powerful it is sometimes not as convenient as
Multi-Replace (see above).

HTH

George Dillon

FWIW Here's a pageful of windows freeware I'd recommend:
http://www.georgedillon/web/freeware.shtml