[thelist] Re: Search and Replace program

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 27 13:56:20 CDT 2000

> On 27/7/00 at 11:26 am, Chris George wrote:
>

> > Although I was _very_ disappointed when I
> found out that it was just
> > the BBEdit demo... Homesite (full) is bundled
> with the PC but nothing
> > worthwhile comes with the Mac ver, not even
> in the Studio package.
>
> Are you sure it's just the demo? As I wrote
> yesterday, I got the full
> BBEdit with my Dreamweaver, I even updated it
> successfully from the Bare
> Bones site later. Still going fine...

DreamWeaver 3 comes with a demo version of BBEdit 5.1 (.1?).  Dreamweaver 2, OTOH, came with the real deal.

I don't know what prompted the change, and the guys on the BBEdit list didn't really want to get into it (or just plain didn't know..not their deal really).  It did, IMO, really reduce the value of the package for anyone needing to buy a whole system/environment.

Not that DW isn't worth the bucks, mind you.  The text editor that comes with it is pretty useless when compared to BBEdit though.

I used Alpha for a while too - not a bad editor for Mac.  Not as nifty as BBEdit, but it's easy to extend (using Tcl) and there are a lot of add-on modules for it that make it kind of fun.

BBEdit is pretty hard to beat though.  Its integration with Anarchie (the best graphical FTP app I've ever used on Mac or PC) alone makes it unbelievabely usefull.  Add that to VOODOO and all of the other tools and scriptability that are in there, and you've got a serious tool.

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org