[thelist] Netscape Communicator memory usage (was: Dreamweaver vs. OS9)

Peggy Daniels pegdaniels at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 10:16:39 CDT 2000

Hi list,

Marlene's experience with Communicator has me wondering... has anyone else
had any problems with system memory usage while running Communicator?  A few
months ago I got a new pc at work (windows98), and all was well until I
installed Netscape Communicator 4.74.  Shortly after that, the machine
started having all kinds of memory problems:  frequent crashes and lockups,
extremely slow response time, graphical icons not displaying properly or at
all, etc.  Although this stuff could be caused by any number of things, I'm
thinking it was Communicator.  Mostly because the situation improved after I
uninstalled.

So I was just wondering, since I'm primarily an MSIE user, if there's
something I don't know about Communicator.  It's a long shot but, anyone
have any comments on this?  I am not asking you all to diagnose my pc's
performance issues :) just looking for any experiences of this type among
Netscape users.  Although this probably would have come out by now if it is
a common problem, thought I'd put the question out there anyway.

Thanks,
Peggy Daniels
Web Designer, Aston IT Group North America
pkd at astonit-us.com  pegdaniels at hotmail.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: Marlene Bruce <marlene.bruce at colemandesign.com>
<snip>
Well, I discovered the culprit after I re-initialized the hard drive and
started reinstalling stuff. You'd never guess, it was Netscape Communicator
4.61.
</snip>