[thelist] e-commerce software suggestions?

Brian brian.tully at snet.net
Tue Aug 1 20:20:22 CDT 2000

Hi there fellow evoltians,

I know this has probably come up on this list dozens of times but can anyone
shed some light on decent e-commerce software packages that will run on a
Linux box (Apache/Perl/PHP/MySQL)?  Commercial and/or open source will do.
I've checked out quite a bit of freeware apps on freshmeat.org but none of
the packages seem "finished" and certainly none of them look too pretty
judging from their demos.
This is my first foray into e-commerce and - according to my boss - it's
absolutely necessary if we want to keep a major client's account (i.e., by
not providing an e-commerce solution we could lose all of our other web &
print work to a larger fish that can).
Since the client is a 'household' name, I don't think it would float to use
a web "mall" type of service.

I'd be very interested in hearing how some of you have implemented
medium-sized e-commerce solutions and if there are any "out-of-the-box"
software packages you'd recommend. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

B r i a n  T u l l y