[thelist] Stored Procedures in Access 97

rudy limeback r937 at interlog.com
Tue Aug 1 22:32:48 CDT 2000

> Is it possible to create stored procedures in Access 97?

hi greg

i have no idea, sorry, but my guess would be no it doesn't

at least, not like as anything you would want to use on a web page

access has modules as well as macros but i don't think either of these is
what you're looking for

what were you hoping your stored proc would do?

you can do pretty much anything using plain old sql queries...

>  For now, I would like to keep the web project in Access,
>  instead of porting it over to MS SQL Server.

good idea

<rant>

you know, much as people say access is not an industrial strength database
(and it's not), it's still pretty darn good for just messing around

people who work with sql/server and oracle all the time often forget how
big a hurdle it is for most folks to go from no database to their first
database

this is where microsoft access could completely fill a niche, but of course
microsoft blew it, access is ridiculously hard for an ordinary person to
learn

no offence to all the ordinary persons out there

anyhow, microsoft does get it right by putting out a system that is pretty
near ubiquitous

never mind what you think of microsoft's business practices, the fact
remains that most people have, um, access to access

anyhow, then microsoft goes and blows it again, by perpetuating the
propeller-head ethos

listen up, bill -- you don't need stored precedures and com objects and
isapi (every time i read or hear the word "isapi" i bust out laughing,
thinking about that budweiser wasabi commercial) and request buffers and
open connections and dsns all that butt fuggly visual basic microsoft
weenie system engineer crap... just to talk to a database!!!

you just need sql

</rant>

whoa, i feel much better

rudy.limeback