[thelist] Angora socks comment on DJC article

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Aug 2 19:08:54 CDT 2000

>I think we do need some ToS to cover stuff like this (like you need a
>valid email address etc), but a move towards community moderation
>may be A Good Thing.
>
>Models include /. of course, but also Motley Fool.

I seem to remember seeing one or two inappropriate/offensive posts on /. ...

***

Here are my thoughts:

I didn't find the comment offensive.  "The Christian Right" has about
as much meaning as the word "Liberal."  It is basically a label one
group applies to another group to make them seem weird and vaguely
frightening.

BUT ASIDE from that: Noam Chomsky said:
You can take one position of free speech.

(implicit: either you are FOR or you are AGAINST free speech.)

Having run a college classroom with free speech as a backbone, these
are my thoughts:

1. Free speech is free speech.

2. Free speech is no longer free speech when it interferes with
another's right to free speech.

Example: if someone decided to fill the boards with lots of ascii
crap or whatever, just as an act of sabotage, causing interference
with others' ability to use the boards, that is not free speech.

3. It is reasonable to ask a person to put his/her name behind
his/her words.  Sure, ask for a vaild email address.  Though I might
write as "Dr. Strangelove" from bomblove at hotmail.com (or something
like that).

I think the discussion is valid, and I think the post was okay.
Okay, I didn't really get it, to be honest.  I didn't even know there
was such a thing as angora socks.

To be honest, one of the things I REALLY DIG about evolt.org is that
I can write a long rambling post like this one and not have to worry
about getting flamed for not being terse and technical.  Evolt has
given me (and I think others) more freedom to share information both
on the micro and macro level.

THE BEST THING about free speech is that in a healthy community, when
someone is way off base, there will always be someone to pipe in and
say, "hey, are you sure you meant what you just said?  Because if so,
you should know why you're totally off base...."

And healthy discussion ensues.

Like now.

Go ahead and filter by subject line, Anne.
Personally, I think this has been an excellent thread.

Erika

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com