[thelist] Classic Browser emulator

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Aug 3 10:11:37 CDT 2000

> Slashdot have just posted an interesting link. (Artcile here -
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/03/1156206&mode=thread).
>
> Apparently the site will emulate old browsers by stripping the
> unsupported
> tags from a remote HTML page. Of course, this won't be as effective as
> installing the appropriate browser, as there are some tags that were
> probably supported, but supported wrongly. It also can't put back tags
> that
> have been deprecated of course, but it's a fun way to see how we used to
> surf :-)
>
> By the way, the site itself is currently slashdotted, but there are
> mirrors
> mentioned among the comments below.

Bob posted it on thelist on Tuesday.

It truly is splendid and brought back all kinds of nostalgia, like the 1st time I saw statusbar mouseovers and thought "how the hell did they do that?", look at the code and went "wow, that's *so* easy!"

FWIW the evolt design is really nice under stoneage browsers, but the new design is absolutely smurfy. That's the nice freebies you get when you adopt standards compliance, you see.

Of course, if you *really* want to see how old browsers render sites, you can download them from http://browsers.evolt.org/

Cheers
Martin