[thelist] OT (verbage)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 6 16:16:01 CDT 2000

Madhu Menon wrote on 6/8/00 1:29 pm

>What REALLY bugs me is that the word "impact" is used as a verb all over
>the bloody place. E.g., "E-business has impacted companies in a way that
>nothing else ever has."

But isn't this how a language develops? Excellent accessible study:
Bill Bryson's 'Made in America' about how English changed in the US:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0552998052/martin043

>Darn it, "Impact" is a noun, *not* a verb. Something can have an impact,
>but it cannot be "impacted".
Actually I think there are medical applications of 'to impact'.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at members.evolt.org              PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
  tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418                snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
 http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=9&uid=32            Edinburgh, Scotland