[thelist] Obtaining value from Select box in Javascript

Jagjeet Hayer Jagjeet.Hayer at softwareag.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 12:21:34 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I hope someone can spot any obvious errors I may be making here.  I would
have thought it straightforward to obtain the option value from a Select box
but I can't seem to get it at all.

This is my test code to try and get it working.  I have tried several
permutations as you can see without success.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script language="JavaScript">
function getOptionValue(obj)
{
	var index0, index1;

	if (obj.name == "select1")
	{
		index0 = document.form1.select1.selectedIndex;

		alert("index0 is : " + index0);
		alert("test1 is : " +
document.form1.select2[document.form1.select1.selectedIndex].value);
		alert("test2 is : " + document.form1.select2.options
[document.form1.select1.selectedIndex].value);
		alert("test3 is : " + document.form1.select1.options[index0].value);

	}
}
</script>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
<form name=form1>
<SELECT id=select1 name=select1 onChange="getOptionValue(this);">
<option>0</option>
<option>1</option>
<option>2</option>
<option>3</option>
<option>4</option>
</SELECT>

<SELECT id=select2 name=select2>
<option>00</option>
<option>01</option>
<option>02</option>
<option>03</option>
<option>04</option>
</SELECT>

</form>

</BODY>
</HTML>

I can sleep peacefully tonight if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Jag.