[thelist] dreamweaver problems on Mac with 2 users

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Mon Aug 7 16:11:16 CDT 2000

on 8/7/00 4:44 PM, Tara Cleveland at taracleveland at hotmail.com wrote:

> So, I have this problem...  My fiancee and I share a home computer (Mac),
> when he got pissed at me cluttering the desktop, I set up another user
> setting for me.
>
> Now when I try to open Dreamweaver (the same copy that I can open if I'm
> logged on as him), it asks me to enter a serial number. It tells me that I
> have to enter a valid serial number when I use the same serial number as the
> one on my fiancee's set up.
>
> This is the same copy of Dreamweaver, on the same hard drive, just used
> under a different login.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Is there any way to fix it so I
> don't have to keep logging on as him when I want to use Dreamweaver?

When you use multiple users on the Mac, each user gets a separate system
preferences folder (as well as some other user-specific stuff). As long as
the app is always using Apple's API's for accessing the prefs folder -
everything should work.

So when you launch DW, it doesn't see its prefs anymore - that's why its
asking for a serial number.

Why its telling you your fiancee's serial number is not correct - I don't
know, perhaps Macromedia is sometimes using Apple's API, and in other parts
just looking for the prefs folder in the system folder.

Make sense?

James.