[thelist] Color Concensus

Christopher Orth - HQ corth at casey.org
Mon Aug 7 16:22:06 CDT 2000

I was at a Macromedia Web World conference about a month ago, and the
general consensus between most of the presenters seemed to be that the new
target platform was 800X600 at millions of colors.

I have been leaning this way myself lately.  The really trick to non web
safe colors is to test on different platforms, not to see if the color is
the same, but to see if the color is acceptably similar.  You would not try
this tactic on a corporate logo of course, but really, if a side nav bar
background is a bit more salmony in Mac than Windows, its not a big deal.
You just want to avoid the colors that completely fall apart when moving
cross platform.

With all the industry pushing buzzwords like "multimedia" and "powerful
generation whatever processors", its hard to think that any new purchase in
the last couple of years would need those lower standards.  In fact, sources
like Stat market tend to mostly agree.