[thelist] Client Code versus Server Code Article....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Aug 7 16:46:26 CDT 2000

There seems to be an increase in the number questions to many of the lists
I'm subscribed to that show a paucity of knowledge about what is Client
Side coding and what is Server Side coding. e.g. how do I get JavaScript on
the browser to do a server side include. Or how do I get ASP/PHP to do roll
overs images?

This is something that I believe can be tackled with a bit of reading on
the questioners part.  Therefore, I'm feeling the need for an evolt article
on this subject, but I wanted to throw out the idea here for a bit of
fleshing out. What do you think should be covered in order to bring a
general understanding of how web coding works to new web coders?

I come from a networking background were I believe the Client versus Server
outlook is just part of the basic knowledge base. But a designer or HTML
jockey doesn't usually start with that understanding. What helped you to
understand the differences between client side coding and server side coding?

----
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys