[thelist] Self-serve

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Tue Aug 8 20:53:51 CDT 2000

> Two - 144 DSL is not reliable enough IMVHO for hosting. Nor
> may it be enough
> bandwidth. Co-Lo's are the way I'd point the customer.

my $4.32 :

1) From what you've shown us, they think they know what they're doing, but
they don't. You may have a hard time working with them.

2) DSL to their office is no way to host a server. Move the box to a
co-location that has the infrastructure to handle it. Do they have redundant
access in case the DSL goes by-by? Does the server have any UPS attached to
it?

3) The "customer access to our SQL Server" statement just plain scares me.
How do they mean that? Direct connection to the Server? Access through web
pages? Do they really know and understand the security nightmare that
statement implies?

If you choose to chase this one down, I'd recommend co-locating the server
and multiple copies of the database; one accessible through a web interface,
and one 'master' copy back at the office that the customers have *absolutely
no* access to.

Like I said, this one sounds like a headache waiting to happen. But that is
from the 4 sentences you've shown us, so please salt to taste.

sgd
--
think safely