[thelist] using ASP and databases for images

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Aug 10 02:54:58 CDT 2000

Hi Kevin,

Based on the (fairly extensive) spec you have given, I would recommend from
the outset that you don't need a database to make this happen!

If you think about it, your interface of using a forward and back navigation
system, along with a numbering system for the images, means that the
structure you require is really very simple. If you were looking to have a
system with a large amount of meta data for each image, plus a *much* larger
amount of images, then there might be some good reason to put everything in
a database. As it is, you would be better off using a normal directory
structure for the images.

One important question that isn't covered - will there often be changes to
the set of images? If you are going to be removing images from the list
fairly often, then you'll need to think about how you keep the naming
structure intact. Otherwise, I seem to recall that I wrote an article about
a JavaScript based image gallery system that sounds as though it would fit
your requirements directly:

Yup, here it is - http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=567

If you need to update the ordering of the images fairly often, or have a
requirement for easy upload and removal of images, then you would almost
certainly be better off looking at one of the existing solutions that you
can find on the web.

Here's a couple of links to get you started!
http://www.aspin.com/func/search?tree=aspin/webapps/content&pg=5&qry=image+g
allery&cat=all
http://www.aspin.com/func/search?tree=aspin/webapps/content&pg=4&qry=image+g
allery&cat=all

Try searching for "ASP image gallery" or similar to build up more
possibilities.

Good luck

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com