[thelist] Creating Divs on the fly

Michael Miller michmill at mailandnews.com
Thu Aug 10 10:41:18 CDT 2000

EC> That is not true, it is possible to create new Divs in all the 4+ browser.
EC> You must use javascript to do document.write()s, but you can do it
EC> endlessly.

Actually, in my experience, Netscape cannot do a document.write to an
already rendered page.  Document.write can be called, but it can only
write to a new window, not to an existing one that is already sitting
in the browser.  The only way I know of to get a similar effect is to
show and hide layers with content already in them, making it appear as
though new content is being generated.  IE, of course can change the
content of DIVs at will, but NN4 just can't--its a really annoying
limitation.

>>These are hacks, designed to subvert the
>>document based orientation of the web and turn it into an application
>>platform.

Exactly.  The type of application you are looking for would probably
be more effective if it was written in Java or some similar platform.
This would allow the server to trigger changes because you could keep
an active communication line.  As it is, you're trying to change the
function of the browser--it will probably work, but will present you
with more problems later on.

Michael Miller