[thelist] using ASP and databases for images

Madhu Menon madhu at asiacontent.com
Thu Aug 10 14:32:09 CDT 2000

At 07:37 AM 8/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to build a database to hold several hundred images relating to
>kitchen design and remodel.
>The images have all been optimized so that is taken care.

Kevi,

I'll write more later (gotta run now), but here's a warning: BAD idea to
hold images in a database. Real bad. Bloats the database and increases the
retrieval time, among other things. Rudy will probably tell you the same
(and more) too.

Better solution: Keep a varchar field (Text in Access) and store only the
physical location of the file. Small database; real quick retrieval and
serving of images.

Cheers,

Madhu

Madhu Menon