[thelist] Compaq thin client devices

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Fri Aug 11 09:41:55 CDT 2000

on 8/11/00 6:29 AM, martin burns at martinb at anytimenow.com wrote:

> If someone gave you one, what would be your perceived value of it?

I haven't used the Compaq ones but I did install over 400 of Capio's clients
(which also run WinCE [unfortunate moniker IMO]) to run off of several NT
4.0 servers.  While these were configurable to be stand-alone appliances
catching many of their applications from the the Internet (via Citrix
servers)  I found that they were simply under-powerful.  Difficult to
configure (because they had to break up a number of the menus due to display
limits), non-upgradeable, and low in the error-handling department, I would
probably smile and say thank you but take it to the nearest BestBuy for
in-store credit.  Especially considering that to my understanding they were
around $500 each.  A cheap PC (ugh!) or just $200 short of an iMac (joy!).

For what it's worth,
Greg Strange
--
Is a thing morally right or wrong?