[thelist] Database connections using IP addresses?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Aug 11 13:55:25 CDT 2000

At 10:46 AM 8/11/2000, you wrote:
>Would the IP connection (assuming it's possible) be made with the syntax
>something like this:
>
><%
>Set ThisConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
>ThisConnection.Open "server=144.195.100.100;driver={SQL
>Server};;uid=localuser;pwd=;database=products"
>%>

My understanding (so someone please correct me if wrong) is that the
connection string is a reference to your ODBC DSN 'connectoid'. Therefore
substituting the IP Address for the Connection Name is not going to work.

What I think you will need to do is setup an ODBC DSN with the server's IP
address embedded in there, then call the ODBC DSN by name in your ASP Code.

Clear as mud??

----
Anthony Baratta
President