[thelist] Liquidity

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sun Aug 13 13:33:29 CDT 2000

>aside:  we don't use the word jello in this part of the world.  what
>you call jello, we call jelly.  what you call jelly, we sort of call
>jam (sometimes jelly).  just to add to the confusion ;)

hmm.  and technically, 'jello' is a brand-name, not a generic term.
maybe a better term would have been 'gel.'  Or gelatin... or aspic...
how about gummi?

I'm with you <ol>...  filling the browser window with flow is
basically a matter of killing the margins... which in order to make
work in current browsers, requires the use of deprecated "body"
attributes.

'ice' layout is frozen... usually at the left side of the browser
window, has to be 'optimized' for a certain resolution/browser window
width.

'gel' layout is the same (fixed table width), but centered, so it
boings into center when you resize.

'liquid' layout flows, regardless of the margins.  look at the text.
on both 'ice' and 'gel' layout, text wrap doesn't change when you
resize your browser window, because the table-width is fixed.  with
liquid layout, lines of text expand or compact depending on window
size.  hence the challenge, and also the convenience, since flexible
font sizes flow better in a flexible layout.

let it flow!

Erika

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com