[thelist] Form Processing Help, Please

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Mon Aug 14 12:14:27 CDT 2000

Hi, Jay --

I just figured this out last week. If you're checking for the state of an
image used as a submit button, you can do it like this (this is the ASP
version of it):

IF request.form ("submit1.x")<>"" THEN blah blah blah

The image button does send the x and y values of your click on the image,
kind of like an image map. So the values returned look like this:

submit1.x = 29 (or some other number in the range of pixels across the x
axis of your image)
submit1.y = 64 (or some other number in the range of pixels across the y
axis of your image)

Using the above if statement basically just checks to see if the button has
been clicked at all.

So what are you using to process the form? If all you need to do is check
the state of the button, remove the "value" attribute from the new submit
button and just check to make sure it's not null. Otherwise, maybe your form
validation IS checking for a specific x and y combination. I'm not sure how
you'd check to see that submit1.x = a specified range of numbers AND
submit1.y = another specified range of numbers, but I'm sure it could be
done.

Does that make sense? Have I missed a critical thing and made myself look
foolish? Again? :)

Dave

David McCreath   Web Development
(907) 742-4647   Anchorage School District
                 http://www.asd.k12.ak.us/