[thelist] open source development network

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Mon Aug 21 10:41:34 CDT 2000

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca wrote:

> now that we're running on linux/oracle, the slashdot effect can probably
> no longer hit us
>
> dan?

*ahem* well.. a typical /. effect is (what i've heard) something like
100000 page views in an hour. thats a lot for any server/s to handle..
we could handle it, it would probably just be slow.

>   a) this list (thelist) is *not* moderated, but the admins were
>      forced, on at least one occasion, to unsubscribe somebody
>      for not cleaning up his act

yup, we've only ever kicked one person off thelist.. not bad for 1.5
years

>   b) the web site (evolt.org) *is* moderated, but for suitability
>      only -- the admins typically do not approve "articles" that
>      are, say, press releases, requests for site critiques, in
>      poor taste, etc.
>
>      A. "suitability" as defined by the admins
>      B. "poor taste" as defined by the admins
>      C. we are always looking for new admins

+1

> also, the admins are not gods...

doh! there goes my ego rudy ;)