[thelist] open source development network

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Mon Aug 21 20:55:23 CDT 2000

why would we join up?

i've just visited the site. it's a page (with 3 ads) that just shows me
headlines (about a page down the site too) from their preferred sites (including
themes.org with headlines like "Artwiz Draws Caricatures" ??).

they're trying to increase readership of their other sites, providing a central
point from where everyone can access this information (and conveniently see all
their banner ads on the way...).

evolt.org is not about developing "open source software" (from the site:
"providing the Open Source Community with the online tools needed to develop,
distribute, and discuss Open Source Software.") - we're about helping web
developers wherever they might be working, and whatever they might be working
on. i don't think that we're here to take sides on the open/closed source
debate, or push our community into using specific software.

our site is developed by the community. the source of what we build is available
for everyone to learn new techniques, and even build other communities. but
we're not about open source. regardless of source availability, we're about
helping developers service their audience.

we're evolt.org, not a subset, nor a part, of a banner-toting "vortal".

also, i'd rather increase membership (if that's what you're after) by increasing
awareness of evolt within web agencies worldwide, rather than aligning with an
open source network and a community, elements of which constantly torture
slashdot forums with bullshit and misinformation.

some members of evolt.org have griped about the lack of design-related threads.
they're right, and there are alot of backend threads which are too advanced for
many readers. talking to agencies and getting more designers and frontend people
on board in the process could do a good job of balancing thelist.

if every member of evolt (yes, even those that lurk) emailed another web firm
within their home town/city, and suggested that their developers check us out,
we'd be doing alot more for:

 - those developers - increasing their skills
 - their audience - getting them to build better sites (more accessible, etc)
 - the web as a whole - a more usable, attractive, etc web is a nicer web

etc

let me know what you think,

isaac